Joanna M. Bonnelly joined Pellerano & Herrera in 2014 and became a partner in 2018. She has 18 years of experience practicing law, focusing her practice in corporate transactions and financing. She has broad experience advising local and international companies in the areas of mergers and acquisitions, project finance, energy and hydrocarbons, free zones, tenders and public procurement, and corporate law.
Joanna has participated in business deals of high relevance in the Dominican Republic, including:
- Advising numerous multinational financing corporations in drafting and negotiating asset-based financing transactions in the country.
- Assisted underwriters in US$2.5 billons bond offering of the Dominican state, awarded “Sovereign Liability Management of the Year 2015” by LatinFinance Deals of the Year Awards.
- Acting as co-lead counsel on the sale of operations of one the principal fuel distributors in the region.
- Assisted a US company in the acquisition and sale of assets of a free zone company dedicated to the manufacture of medical equipment, including assistance in due diligence, drafting and negotiation of contracts, permits, financing, among others.
- General legal assistance to one of the most successful health and fitness club chains in franchise implementation in the country, including advice on corporate structure, drafting and negotiation of contracts.
- Assistance to Scotiabank in financing of a residential project for a diplomatic mission in the country.
- Assistance to a digital platform transportation company, considered one of the fastest growing companies in the United States in recent years, in implementation of its business in the country.
- Assistance to energy companies and multilateral banks in the execution and financing of renewable energy projects, including conducting due diligence processes, instrumentation and negotiation of the corresponding contracts, permits, among others.
- Advising one of the principal’s suppliers of LPG in the negotiation of a joint venture for the development of a fuel importation and storage terminal in the country.
- Participation in the sale and acquisition of various hotels in the Northeast and East part of the country.
- Assisting a local investor in the development of a high-end leisure project in the Northeast part of Dominican Republic.
Joanna was recognized by Chambers Latin America and Chambers Global 2017 and 2018 in corporate and commercial.
Joanna received her Bachelor of Laws, magna cum laude, from Universidad Iberoamericana in 1999. Years later in 2002-2003, she completed her Masters in Corporate Law from Universitat Pompeu Fabra, in Barcelona, Spain. She has participated in Lex Mundi Institute program, Cross Border Transactions in 2015 and Management Foundation in 2017.
She is a member of the Dominican Bar Association, and speaks Spanish and English fluently.