In 1952, Juan Manuel Pellerano founded Pellerano & Herrera. During his career, he has held numerous prestigious public and private positions, significantly influencing the development and modernization of the Dominican legal system. Throughout his 60 years of experience, Juan Manuel has focused his legal practice on corporate litigation, constitutional law, business law, maritime law, telecommunications, insurance law, and banking law.
Juan Manuel was considered the country’s most significant scholar in constitutional law. A pioneer, he introduced the Writ of Amparo to the Dominican legal system as a means of protecting constitutional rights. He also was considered one of the country’s leading experts in complex litigation cases.
The prestigious British legal publication, Chambers Global, referred to Juan Manuel as the most renowned and most complete lawyer in the country, known as “the lawyer of lawyers.” Since 2009, he has been recognized by Chambers & Partners as among the best lawyers in the dispute resolution category. In addition, he has been recognized as a leading lawyer by the International Financial Law Review in the IFLR 1000.
During the course of his legal practice, Juan Manuel has established or clarified Dominican jurisprudence with respect to a wide variety of issues, including:
- The first case in which a judgment of the lower court was overturned after an appeal on constitutional grounds, involving the defense of former Dominican President Salvador Jorge Blanco in 2001.
- The definition of "Affectio Societatis" as a prerequisite for establishing a commercial alliance in the Dominican Republic.
- The establishment of the admissibility of appeals against arbitral awards.
- The first draft of the Dominican bill that recognizes common property in apartment buildings, which has been key to the development of the country's real estate industry.
- The first successful nationwide distribution of liquidated assets pro rata by multiple creditors.
Juan Manuel, who received his Doctorate of Laws at the Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo in 1950, has been one of the Dominican Republic’s most influential educators in the field of law. In addition to being a respected professor of law at major law schools in the country, he was the founder and first Executive Director of the Escuela Nacional de la Judicatura de la República Dominicana (the National Judicial College of the Dominican Republic). Juan Manuel was the author of several works that are used as textbooks in law schools and has held multiple positions in various institutions over the years, including:
- Criminal Law Association – Member, 2012-2018
- International Attorney Union – Member, 1998-2012
- Pellerano & Herrera Foundation – Past President
- Fundación Institucionalidad y Justicia (Institutional and Justice Foundation) – Board Member, 2005-2009
- Bar Association of Santiago, Dominican Republic – Honorary Member, 2003
- Universidad Nordestana – Honorary Law Professor, 1998
- Escuela Nacional de la Magistratura (National Judiciary School) – Director, 1997-1998
- Commission for Editing and Updating the Dominican Criminal Procedure Code – Member, 1996
- Dominican Science Academy – Academic, 1987
- Presidency of the Dominican Republic – Legal Adviser, 1982-1986
- Pontificia Universidad Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) – Honorary Law Professor, 1982
- Commission for Editing the Dominican Code of Commerce – President, 1982
- Universidad Nacional Pedro Henríquez Ureña (UNPHU) – Civil Law Professor, 1970
- Editora Capeldom, the Dominican Republic’s most highly regarded legal publisher – Founder
- Universal de Seguros – Secretary of the Board, 1966
- Dominican Bar Association – Vice President, 1963
- Committee for the drafting of the initial bylaws of the Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo – Member, 1962
- Committee for the drafting of the law that instituted Loans and Savings Associations in the Dominican Republic – Advisor, 1962
- Universidad Autónoma de Santo Domingo – Director of Instructional Practice and Law Professor, 1957-1961
- Pellerano & Herrera – Founding Partner, 1952