Sheila Oviedo joined the firm in 2010. She has over 11 years of experience practicing law and is a Senior Associate in the firm’s litigation team, providing assistance to the corporate Legal Consulting Department. She represents both national and international clients in connection with civil, commercial, constitutional, labor and social security,constitutional law, consumer law, aeronautical law, sports law, arbitration, among others, as well as in connection with the implementation and termination of contracts, damages claims and general litigation.
Sheila has advised international companies in their establishment in the Dominican Republic and regularly advises clients on labor laws and the rights of the parties before the termination of employment contracts, representation and distribution agreements and their eventual termination, due diligence processes, in connection with significant projects and corporate transactions.
- Legal assistance to important companies in the Aviation industry in the Dominican Republic, protecting their interests in claims in matters of civil liability and consumer law, obtaining the recognition and execution of the Montreal Convention of 1999 by the courts of judicial order in the country.
- Representation of one of the most successful North American health and fitness club chains in the drafting and negotiation of contracts and assistance in litigation in general.
- Legal assistance to a technology platform company for networks and social media regarding the Dominican regulatory framework and its impact on the implementation of the business in the Dominican Republic.
- Counsel, in conjunction with other Litigation lawyers, Sheila represented a leading technology and communications company in the Caribbean in a lawsuit in the Dominican Republic against its former employees alleging a breach of confidentiality agreements based on the country's competition laws; first litigation of this nature in the Dominican Republic.
- Legal assistance to leading companies in the insurance market in the Dominican Republic in highly complex civil claims, winning 97% of them.
- Advice and representation to leading companies in the field of marketing and distribution of cosmetic products, in actions of Hábeas data and litigation in constitutional matters in general.
- Represented a Spanish company from tourism industry in litigation involving more than US$100 million, in order to protect their economic rights against an action which sought, among other things, the cancellation of their ownership certificates;
- Representation of baseball clubs in liability lawsuits filed by prospective players.
In 2019 and 2020 Sheila was recognized as Future Star by Benchmark Litigation.
Sheila received her Bachelor of Laws, magna cum laude, from Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) in 2010. In 2012, Sheila graduated from the Master of Business Law program at the University degli Studi di Bologna. She has attended programs and seminars on issues related to civil procedure, labor law and arbitration, among other subjects. Sheila is a member of the Dominican Bar Association and is fluent in Spanish, English, French and Italian.