“Sheila Oviedo is a lawyer who inspires a lot of confidence, is proactive in following up on cases, and makes far-reaching contributions in important matters.”
Legal 500 testimonials 2022
Sheila Oviedo joined the firm in 2010. She has more than 12 years of experience in legal practice and is currently a Partner in the Litigation and Conflict Resolution area, leading the Transportation & Logistics industry and directing with others area partners, the practice of commercial and labor litigation at P&H. Her experience in litigation and knowledge of the dynamism of Dominican jurisprudence make her a supremely avant-garde attorney.
Sheila represents both national and international clients in relation to matters of civil and commercial law, labor law and social security, constitutional law, consumer law, aeronautical law, administrative law, sports law, high-risk judicial and arbitration litigation, enforcement and resolution of contracts such as representation and distribution agreements, employment contracts, claims for compensation for damages; she also advising on the design and implementation of sophisticated strategies for complex trading operations. She has assisted international companies in their establishment and start-up of operations in the Dominican Republic, collaborating in due diligence processes in conjunction with the firm's Legal Business Consulting department, facing important projects and corporate transactions.
- Assistance to important companies in the Air Transportation Area in the Dominican Republic, protecting their interests in claims in matters of civil liability and consumer law, obtaining the recognition and execution of the Montreal Convention by the courts of judicial order in the country.
- Representation of one of the most successful North American health and fitness clubs Chains in the drafting and negotiation of contracts and assistance in litigation in general.
- Assistance to a technology platform company for networks and social media regarding the Dominican regulatory framework and its impact on the implementation of the business in the Dominican Republic.
- Advice, together with other Litigation lawyers, to a leading company in the integration of technology and communications in the Caribbean in the Dominican Republic on the occasion of a lawsuit against former employees (senior executives) of the client, alleging a breach of confidentiality agreements, based in the competition laws of the country; first litigation of this nature in the Dominican Republic.
- Assistance to prominent companies in the insurance market in the Dominican Republic in highly complex civil claims, obtaining legal gain in 97% of them.
- Advice and representation to leading companies in the field of marketing and distribution of cosmetic products, in actions of Habeas data and controversies in constitutional matters in general.
- Assistance to a Spanish company in the tourism area in a dispute involving more than US$100 million, in order to protect their economic rights against an action that sought, among other things, the cancellation of their Certificates of ownership.
- Assistance and representation of baseball clubs before judicial and arbitration forums in the defense of civil and labor lawsuits. -Assistance to leading multinationals in decision-making and the completion of transcendental negotiations and agreements in the regular course of their business life, in industries as diverse as Big Pharma, OTA's, Entertainment, Food and Beverages, Insurance, among others. -Collaboration in the due diligence process for the acquisition of a Dominican credit reporting agency by a US multinational. In the 2019-2022 period, Sheila was recognized as a Future Star by Benchmark Litigation. She was also recognized in 2022 by the Legal 500 board of directors in Labor practices and in Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution. Sheila received her Law Degree, magna cum laude, from the Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra (PUCMM) in 2010. In 2012, Sheila graduated from the Master of Business Law from the Universidad degli Studi de Bologna. He has participated in various national and international continuing education programs, including the Lex Mundi Cross Border Dispute Resolution Program held in the city of Washington, United States of America in 2022, as well as The Legal 500 GC Summit Miami 2022 and locally in seminars on issues related to commercial arbitration, civil procedural law, labor law, among others. She is a member of the Bar Association of the Dominican Republic and is fluent in Spanish, English and Italian. Awards and Memberships -Benchmark Litigation -Legal 500, Recognition in two areas-Labor Law and Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution. Practice areas • Litigation and Alternative Dispute Resolution • Business Legal Consulting • Civil and commercial law • Labor and Social Security • Sport • Industries and Commerce • Aeronautical law • Transport, & Logistics • Consumer Law • Constitutional right • Administrative law
Publications & Podcasts
• To the rescue of tourism: for a comprehensive reform of the Tourism Law (PDF)
• Special report: The 10 challenges of the new president (PDF)
• A look at the Digital Media Use Law
• Resolution on Domestic Service of the Ministry of Labor of the Dominican Republic.
• Management of Social Networks: Strategies and legal perspectives.
• Labor considerations before COVID-19.
• Co-author in Book on Lawyers Professional Secrecy/Attorney-Client Privilege. Dominican Republic Chapter.
• Right to informative self-determination of moral persons. Pellerano & Herrera Foundation. https://listindiario.com/puntos-de-vista/2018/04/22/511665/derecho-a-la-autodeterminacion-informativa-de-las-personas-morales